Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday Memories

Not too long ago on my Facebook status, I wrote that I think it's amazing how a taste of a smell can catapult you back in time.  Our senses play a huge part in our memories.  Because of that, I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite holiday recipes.  When ever I smell one of the dishes cooking or take my first bite, the years of fond holiday memories come flooding back.

When I was a freshman in college, my parents moved from our hometown of Greenville, SC to Florence, SC.  While they were there, they would frequent a great little restaurant called Benton's where they would serve a wonderful, melt in your mouth, Broccoli Cornbread.  Here's that recipe:

1/2 c. margarine, melted
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 10 oz. package of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
4 eggs, beaten
6 oz. cottage cheese
1 tsp. salt
1 8 1/2 oz. Jiffy Cornbread mix

Combine all ingredients, except cornbread mix.  Stir in muffin mix.  Pour batter into a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 mins.  Serves 8 - 12

 

My grandmother used to make a Peach Cobbler that would make your mouth water.  I just remember how amazing it would taste and how that scoop of Breyer's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream would melt on contact with it.

2 c. fruit
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 c. self rising flour
1/2 c. milk

Cook fruit in 3/4 c. sugar until the sugar is cooked down into the fruit juices.  Malt 1/2 c. butter in a 11x13 baking dish.  Mix flour, 1 c. sugar and 1/2 c. milk together and pour over the butter.  Then pour your fruit mixture on top of that.  Do not stir!  Cook at 375 degrees until bubbly (approximately 40 -45 mins).



My grandmother also made a Macaroni and Cheese that was out of this world.  I always begged her for the recipe, but it was a closely guarded secret.  I thought she would never give up the recipe, but about a year before she passed away, she gave it to me.  I love this recipe and every bite makes me remember her love from the oven.

2 c. Elbow Macaroni
2 TBL. butter
2 TBL. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. milk
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook the macaroni like normal.  While that is cooking, in a saucepan, combine the milk, butter and salt.  Bring to a slow boil and whisk in the flour.  Make sure the flour is combined completely.  When the macaroni is done, strain it and put it in a baking dish, pour milk mixture over the noodles.  Stir in the cheese, retaining a little to sprinkle over the top.  Bake for 20 -25 mins. until bubbly.



I hope you'll share these recipes with your family over the holidays.  And from my family, Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment