Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hear the ROAR!!!!

Being from the South, there are things that we are known for... cooking, hospitality, a good ol' Southern drawl, and a love for our college football!

College football in the South is full of pomp and circumstance ranging, from simple events to all out affairs!  And if you think regular, good ol', run of the mill games are over the top, you should see rivalry games!

I am from South Carolina.  I have never lived anywhere else.  I grew up in Greenville, SC, just a short drive to Clemson University.  In my family, we are Clemson fans.  Big time.

As a child, my father would take us to the Clemson games.  We were IPTAY members and had seasons tickets.  On game day, we would decorate our car with magnetic tiger paws, flags and, of course, the tiger tail hanging out of the trunk.  I fondly remember the feeling of excitement and pride as I would get dressed in my Clemson colors and prepare for the game.  Daddy would stop and get our tailgate food (usually some sandwiches from Duke Sandwich Shop, which, by the way, still makes some of the best sandwiches you have ever put in your mouth, or fried chicken) and off we would go.  As you get closer to Death Valley (the football stadium at Clemson), there are tiger paws emblazoned on the roads... by this point, you can help but be anything but bursting with excitement.  We would park in our spot, have our picnic tailgate, and watch the excitement build in each and every fan there.

As you enter Death Valley, you are overcome with the feeling of being part of something much more than the love of the game or football as a sport... you are part of a Clemson Tradition and a Tiger Pride that is nearly palatable.  You just can't help but be caught up in the moment.  From the moment that the players run into the field, also know as The Most Exciting 25 Seconds in College Football,  to each singing of Tiger Rag, you just know you're a part of greatness, and you can feel it with every roar of the crowd.

Now, don't get me wrong, Clemson sometimes forgets they are great... and they have had some less than stellar seasons, but I am a loyal fan through the ups and downs.  Although this year, we have remembered our greatness, and the ACC has been reminded of it, as well.

I live in Charleston  now and getting to the games takes a bit more planning... (like where to stay, tailgate menus, so on and so forth).  Now, that I am older (ugh, did I just write that I am older?????)... scratch that, start again...  Now, that I am in charge of my tailgate experience, it is a bit different than it was when it was just Daddy and I.  Tailgating these days consists of carefully designed menus, tents, friends, gameday dresses and outfits, and full fanfare (although we only make it to maybe one home game a year now).

Since we do live farther away, we also have "tailgate parties" from home.  I can assure you that for the most part, the components are the same... lots of food, friends, gameday wear, and football... but the real glory of the game is missing.  Don't get me wrong, I love our tailgate parties here, but nothing beats being there...

This blog post has been centered on Clemson football, because that is what I know and love.  Every fan has a similar experience with their team, I am sure.  I just wanted to share what my experiences were and are, and hopefully encourage you, the reader, to go to a game... experience the greatness.... be a part of something that will live in you forever.

GOOOOOOO TIGERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment