Friday, December 23, 2011

For the love of....

You know, I don't have a runner's body.  In fact, I don't even really consider myself a runner, really.  If you ask me, I'm a finisher.  In 2009, I ran my very first race.  I didn't start with a 5K or even a 10K.  Nope, not me, I started with a Half Marathon.  I mean, hey, if you're gonna race, race big, right?  That was a pretty big accomplishment for me since just 6 months prior, I didn't even run to the mailbox and back.

You may have read my article on how I came to run this race, but what I didn't tell you is how I did it.  The first, and most important, thing I did when I decided to start running, was get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.  I am not talking about heading to a department store and trying on shoes.  You need to go to a running store and let them analyse your gait.  I pronate.  Who knew?  I have to wear a stability shoe when I run to prevent injury and knee and hip pain.  A good pair of shoes is key.  

I started with a training plan called Couch to 5K.  Couch was right too... I was seriously outta shape.  The Couch to 5K program will have you running 3 miles straight in 9 weeks.  I know, that sounds like a long time, but honestly, at the time, I thought 3 miles was a pretty hefty goal.  After the Couch to 5K program, I graduated to the Jeff Galloway Half Marathon training.  I personally like Jeff Galloway's method because it uses a run / walk ratio to help your body recover more quickly from the distance.  I have friends who are "real runners" who would never consider walking any part of a race, but hey, that's why I'm a finisher, not a runner.  I also walk through all of the water stations too.  Hahaha, take that real runners!

Since starting this journey, I have run the Disney Half Marathon (Jan. 2009), Disney's Princess Half Marathon (Mar. 2009), Disneyland Half Marathon (Sept. 2009), Disney's Princess Half Marathon (Mar. 2010), Disney's Goofy Challenge (comprised of the Half and Full Marathons for a total of 39.3 miles) (Jan. 2011) and Disney's Princess Half Marathon (Feb. 2011).  On tap for this year, Disney's Full Marathon Relay (Jan. 2012) and Disney's Princess Half Marathon (Feb. 2012).  There have been talks of the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and the Disneyland Half Marathon for this year as well.... but we'll see.  I'm not a runner after all; I'm a finisher.




No comments:

Post a Comment