Friday, July 13, 2012

Take a Ride on the Fantastic Voyage - Day 4

Sorry for the delay... But without further ado, her is day 4.

Day 4 - Costa Maya

We began the day, just like all the others, Chuck got up early to work out (clearly, I should do something about this working out thing... it's beginning to make me look bad).  The kids and I woke up leisurely.  When Chuck got back, we headed down to Enchanted Garden to eat breakfast. It is a buffet for breakfast.  I am normally not a big fan of a buffet, but this one is good and this particular morning they had a ham and cheese croissant on the buffet that was out of this world.

After breakfast, we head back to the room to pack the bag for the excursion to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins.  I packed some snacks and water bottles and I am glad that I did.  It was hot and humid that day.  We head to the Walt Disney Theater to meet up with our tour group.  We were the first ones to disembark the ship.  As it turns out, Costa Maya is very sparsely inhabited.  The locals drive there to meet the cruise ships.  Who knew?  Apparently, a hurricane all but destroyed the town and while somethings have been built back, the people have not yet come back to make their homes there.  It's very beautiful there.  Heck, I could see myself going back there.

This excursion takes the entire day, so if you are looking to explore Costa Maya, this might not be the best choice for you.  We happen to love history and have always been fascinated by the ruins, so it was a no brainer for us.

We boarded the bus for the 45 min drive out to the ruins.  Our guide told us lots about the local history and the Mayan people.  One thing that was really interesting was that Chacchoben was the Mayan word for Red Corn.


When we got to the ruins, we were assigned a second local guide to assist our tour guide.  He was 100% Mayan.  The ruins consisted of temples and the residences of the upper echelon of the Mayan people.
  Remember the red corn?
The ruins look like steps now, but originally they were stuccoed and painted a vibrant red.  Some of that is still visible in places.
How cool is that????  It was hot, hot, hot that day and very humid.  I am very glad I brought the water bottles.  I almost wish I had brought some Gatorade too.  


I had to include pictures of the cutest kiddos ever:
They obviously had a great time exploring.  The kids really felt like they were Jr. Archaeologist. To be honest, I kinda felt like one too.  It was really amazing to be walking among the ruins of some of the most advanced people to have ever walked the planet.  Pretty humbling to be honest.


After the tour, we headed back to the ship where we barely had enough time to shower and make it to dinner.  But, we needed the showers,  It was hot and we were all sweaty (and by sweaty I mean drenched).  


Our dinner was in Enchanted Garden.  It was awesome as usual, but the real treat was the show.  The show was Disney Wishes.  It was a story of three friends who will be graduating high school soon and spend their time at Disneyland.  These new shows are really fantastic.  I cannot rave enough about them!


Highlights:
Chacchoben Mayan Ruin tour
Disney Wishes
Ham and Cheese Croissants at Enchanted Garden for breakfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment