Sunday, July 1, 2012

Take a Ride on the Fantastic Voyage - Day 1

I was channeling my inner Coolio when I came up with the title of this article...  Yep, there I go showing my age again.

The fam and I just got back from a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise on the new Disney Fantasy!  It was an amazing trip and, lucky you, get to hear all about it :)

The down and dirty:

Cast of Characters - Chuck, 45,  Me, in my 30's (Haha, I bet you thought I'd slip up and actually tell you), Caroline, 8 and Garrett, 5
The Itinerary - Port Canaveral, Day at Sea, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Day at Sea, Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral
The Ship - Disney Fantasy
Cabin - Category 4B Cabin # 8098
Dining - First Seating
Sail Date - June 23, 2012

Since we live in Charleston, SC, we drive to Port Canaveral since it's only 6 hours away.  So, on June 23, we wake up early enough to be on the road at 6am!  Yay!  That means we should arrive at the port around noon.  Well, best laid plans and all, we get on the road a couple of minutes late, but nothing to throw us off course too much.  We cross the Florida line about the time both kiddos start complaining of their ears hurting.  YIKES!  I quickly start googling Urgent Care Centers in the area and found one in Jacksonville.  Luckily for us, it was just swimmers ear.  The doctor prescribes an antibiotic and about an hr and a half later, we are back on the road.  Thank goodness I planned on getting there at noon.  We had plenty of wiggle room.  As soon as we got to the port, we checked in and were able to board.  We are way past excited by this time.  The ship is stunningly beautiful.  Disney definitely believes in making you feel as though you have just stepped onto the First Class atrium one of the great luxury liners of days gone by.




We get to our cabin to drop off our bags and to grab some lunch.  I booked a category 4B because we have stayed in a Veranda Cabin before, but I was really intrigued by the extra 50 square feet and round tub.  I will have to say, for us, both were well worth the additional cost.  I am completely enamored with the round tub and rain shower head.  The tub/shower seems small when you look at it, but the round shape makes it the roomiest shower I've ever had on a cruise ship.




After dropping our bags off and admiring our home for the next 7 days, we head to Cabanas for lunch.  Lunch was a good buffet.  I think Garrett might have eaten his weight in shrimp.  That kid loves three foods: steak, shrimp and bacon.  After lunch, we swing by the Oceaneers Club and Oceaneers Lab to check it out and get the kids equipped with their Mickey Bracelets (aka Oceaneers ID aka Lojack, as I affectionately call it since it has a GPS locator in it).  Yes, you can do this at the port, but when the lines are long, skip it and do it onboard.


That night we went to dinner at Animators Palate.  We met our Server Tiziana from Italy and her assistant, Camille from Trinidad and Tobago.  We loved, loved, loved them both.  Animators Palate the first night is much like Animators on the Disney Dream.  It features an interactive show featuring Crush from Finding Nemo.

After dinner, Garrett and I went on to sleep since we had had an early morning and long day, while Chuck and Caroline caught the show, A Fantasy Come True.  Chuck said it was a Glee-esque kinda show.  I don't care for Glee, so it wouldn't have been a show I would have cared for.  Caroline loved it.

Highlights:

Category 4 cabin with extra 50 sq feet and round tub/shower
Animators Palate
The ship itself

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading more, I'm in an extended veranda on deck 5 December 8th. Also western caribbean.

    ReplyDelete